Last updated 1 October 2020
Your privacy is important to HKWS. We are committed to protecting your privacy and using any personal information responsibly and in accordance with Australian Privacy Principles and the Privacy Act 1988(Cth).
What Information We Collect
The Information that we collect may include:
- personal information that you provide. This may include name, address, contact number and email address when we add you to our subscriber database which holds records for individuals, communication preferences and information about how you may have interacted with HKWS. In most cases we will ask you for this information directly either through the website, email, via phone or in person.
- information about your use of our website through analytics tool. This does not collect your personal information.
It is your choice how much information you provide to us but we may not be able fulfil a request if you do not provide the Information.
Why We Collect Information
We collect the Information for the purposes of our core work – including growing our subscriber base, and engaging with the public, in particular raising awareness of domestic violence issues and fundraising.
We may ask for information to help us engage with you such as a subscription to our email newsletter and electronic mailouts and marketing, processing donations, issuing receipts, managing purchase and delivery process through our online store. For example, we will use the Information to keep you updated on events and opportunities to support HKWS or to notify you of volunteering opportunities if you have nominated yourself as willing to be a volunteer.
We occasionally require external suppliers to assist us in our activities and may provide the Information to them in order to achieve these for example delivering any goods that you purchase from our online store.
When we need to send any of the Information to a third party we’ll ensure this is done securely and only for the purposes outlined above.
How we secure and store your Information
We keep the Information secure in our database and we protect your Information from unauthorised access or use by:
- securing all Information
- limiting access to those people in HKWS and board members who need access
- using firewalls and other internet security measures (such as identification codes and passwords to control access to our computer systems
Any physical copies of your Information are kept securely and destroyed if not needed.
If you believe that the Information we hold about you is inaccurate or out of date please let us know so that we can promptly correct it. You can email us at email@example.com.
Online activity and social media
When you access our website or connect with us through social media, we or our third-party service providers, may use “Cookies” (small data files placed on your device that do not identify individuals personally but do identify devices). We may also use software such as Java script, or similar technology.
This allows us to:
- Remember your details and preferences when you return;
- Maintain the continuity of your browsing session
- Use analytics to collect information such as demographics and interests, visits to our websites, length of visit and pages viewed; and
- Tailor our advertising through advertising networks on other websites.
You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a Cookie and this will provide you with an opportunity to either accept or reject it in each instance. Please note that if you do this, it may affect some of the functions on our website.
We take great care to protect your personal information on our website and whenever you communicate with us. Once we receive your personal information, we take reasonable steps to protect its security.
Our website may contain links to websites of third parties. We provide these links for convenience and assistance and you should be aware that the privacy policies and information practices of these may differ from ours and you should refer to privacy policies of those websites to see how they handle your information,
You can also engage with HKWS through social media, like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. You can always control how you receive content through each website’s settings. Occasionally, we may get in touch with you via social media if you aren’t a follower by using the details on your record, such as email address. If you prefer we don’t do this, send us an email.
Resolving Your Concerns
If you believe that your Privacy has been compromised or you have a privacy complaint by email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then acknowledge receipt of your complaint and when you can expect a response from us.
If the complaint remains unresolved you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). The contact details for OAIC are
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 2999
Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: 1300 363 992
Fax: 02 9284 9666
HKWS may update this policy from time to time and the date of the most recent update is set out on the first page of this policy.